November 8, 2011
Summary of last night’s General Assembly:
1. The GA approved moving the GA and committee meetings to the front of City Hall.
2. The GA approved the purchase of a canopy and calendar (est. $200 total). This need will also be posted as a requested donation.
3. The GA approved Actions to move forward with more details on a November 26th action for Small Business Saturday. Arts will work with the organizers of the 11/19 action to develop a list of small businesses in the area near 5th and LB Blvd where shoppers can purchase from local vendors. This list will highly correlate to the list of locations on the 11/19 action.
4. The GA approved supporting, placing on our calendar, and turning out members for the Nurses Union’s vigil at 2801 Atlantic Ave. on 11/16 from 6 to 8pm. The goal is to have enough people there with candles that we can surround the Long Beach Memorial Medical Center.
5. The GA approved members who will be out of town on Thanksgiving weekend bringing pies to their hometown occupations that are on behalf of Occupy Long Beach.
6. The ILWU, Teamsters, Trucking Union, First Congregational Church, CSULB students and Interfaith Community Organization will all be in attendance Tuesday to support OLB.
NOTES FROM ACTION COMMITTEE
Occupy LA is defining a schedule for a joint event on 11/11 that may include a rally and documentary at 11am and yoga, along with a protest. This is to convene at the same location. More details to come.
So we’re moving forward with finalizing the action with OLA on the 12th. We’ll meet at 1st and Pacific at the last Blue Line stop at 10am. We will meet with OLA at 7th and Figueroa at 11am for a rally and teach-in from 11:30am to 2pm. The speakers/entertainers are TBD. From 2 to 3pm we will have Theater of the Oppressed. At 3pm we will break out into committee meetings to plan a bigger event one month out. At 4:30pm we will reconvene for GA to ratify the decisions on the future event. If it is raining, we will occupy the subway station top level. If not, we will head up to the street level and occupy the corner in front of Chase that you can see in the attached picture. The event will be billed as “Red Meets Blue: Get Money Out.”
The Action on 11/19 will move forward as planned.
11/25 Sonny is looking into details of Adbusters’ “Buy Nothing Day” to see if we can orchestrate something on Black Friday without pissing off the 99% trying to save a buck in tough times.
11/26 We will have an action for Small Business Saturday, with a flier that shows local Long Beach businesses that offer products that are offered at the store we are picketing in front of. This will likely be the Wal-Mart at 5th and LB Blvd, and may possibly include other locations as well. More details to follow.
We have been working on fine tuning our website; www.occupylb.org
Please check it out and use our calendar to find out meeting dates/times/locations
You can also find links to audio recordings of our GAs, livestreaming, photos, videos, helpful links
Soon to be added to the site will be a public and open forum and a contact list for all committees