Occupy Long Beach Newsletter
June 24th, 2012
A.) General Assembly Minutes June 21st, 2012
B.) Upcoming Events
C.) Recurring Events
General Assembly Minutes
June 21, 2012
Erin W. served as facilitator; DanO did stacks; Jacob was the greeter; Xiomara was the note taker
Meeting began at 7 pm.
- Proposal to open an account at Wescom, with Naida and Wayne as the signatories for the group: Consensus was reached that Naida and Wayne be empowered to open the account tomorrow with existing funds. Any funds from earlier efforts will be moved to the Wescom account as soon as possible.
- Proposal: OLB take part in actions in solidarity with the Cruz family in Minnesota. Consensus: We should continue our work re foreclosures, but we are too late to participate in the national action and, in the absence of a PNC bank, it isn’t clear what action we should take.
- Report on Sunday June 24 events;
- Everything will take place near the BBQ pits in Bixby Park
- BBQ will start at 4
- 4-5 pm Open Mic, with 4:15-4:30 reserved for a discussion of social change led by the Peoples School
- LB Unplugged will play
- At nightfall, LB Unplugged will do a video premier of “The 99% of Us” and Wayne will show the video of the Earth Day Peace Sign event
- Finally, the documentary (with popcorn) “Capitalism: A Love Story”
i. Easy Up
iii. Creative reuse materials
GA adjourned at 8:30 pm
Submitted by Xiomara
Sunday, June 24th at 4pm, Bixby Park: “99 of Us” Video Premiere with OLB and Long Beach Unplugged.
We have a big day/night planned for ALL concerned!
1. It’s a pot luck! Bring something to share and something to grill on the BBQ grills!
2. Its an open mic! Bring your music, your poetry, your ideas or ANYTHHING you’d like to share!
3. It’s a concert! Featuring OCCUPY LONG BEACH comrades LONG BEACH UNPLUGGED!
4. It’s a movie premiere! Join us for the exciting premiere of LONG BEACH UNPLUGGED’s brand new music video, “99 of US”!
Also, we will feature a video shot by OCCUPY LONG BEACH videographer Wayne Marchyshyn. It features OLB’s Earth Day Peace sign formation and celebration and includes a beautiful poem by organizer Jaijai!
5. It’s a free movie screening! We will close out the night with a viewing of Michael Moore’s* masterpiece, “Capitalism, A Love Story” (*Of “Roger & Me” and “Fahrenheit 911” fame)!
Saturday, June 30th at 10am, Los Angeles State Historic Park: 10,000 March Against Wal-Mart in Chinatown.
L.A.’s future will not be bought off by Wal-Mart! Los Angeles residents, Wal-Mart store and warehouse workers, Chinatown residents, small business owners, community and faith groups, labor, and students are holding the largest anti-Wal-Mart demonstration ever held in the U.S. Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient Dolores Huerta and US Congresswoman Judy Chu will speak. Tom Morello, the Nightwatchman will play. The first group from Long Beach will be leaving from the Blue Line station at 1st and Pacific at 8:15am. See Ben Fisher for details.
Monday, July 2nd, 2012 at 12pm, Hilton San Diego Bayfront: Protest Rally to welcome the Trans Pacific Partnership.
The Trans Pacific Trade Agreement is a massive trade agreement that will offshore American jobs, attack environmental protections and consumer safety policies, and deregulate Wall Street banks, hedge funds, and insurance companies. Representatives from corporations and other countries will be negotiating the TPP in San Diego.
Join Labor and Community groups for a kick-off press conference and protest rally Monday, July 2nd in the park adjacent to the Hilton Bayfront Hotel.
July 13th – 16th at the Los Angeles Courthouse: Fort Manning – a 3 day occupation to demand justice for American Hero P.F.C. Bradley Manning!
For those who don’t know, Bradley Manning allegedly gave Wikileaks the diplomatic cables which led to the revolutions in Tunisia & Egypt; The War Logs; & The Collateral Murder video, which showed U.S. troops killing 2 Reuters reporters & their civilian tour guides.
Monthly Beach Cleanup:
Next cleanup is July 22nd at 11am, at Cherry Beach (below the bluff at Cherry and Ocean).
Occupy Los Angeles General Assembly: Mon/Weds/Fri at 7:30pm, Saturdays at 4pm, at Pershing Square.
Bixby Park Farmers’ Market:Tuesdays 3pm-8pm at Bixby Park.