The 80th annual Great Sand Castle Contest is this weekend. Meet on the beach at the Granada snack bar between 9:00 and 9:30, Saturday, August 11th. If you can, bring large buckets, shovels, trowels, and straws. Yes, straws. Unfortunately, I will be out of town, but whoever gets there first should say that you are with me. I registered under my name (Sonic Pencr) and not OLB, because they did not ask for organization names.
Aside from creating the sculpture, it would be great if we could have at least a couple of people there all day Saturday and Sunday, 10 to 5, to engage the hundreds of spectators who will be looking at the sand sculptures.
Now that we are only a few days out from the competition, we wanted to send out a few reminders and give you some guidelines for the competition:
1) The Theme this year is “Sculpting a Better Long Beach”; so if you want to show some LB pride, show us how you think LB could be even better! We will be awarding an honorable mention for the team whose sculpture best embodies this theme.
2) Saturday is the Sculpting / Judging day and Sunday is the viewing day. You only HAVE to participate on Saturday, whereas Sunday is for passersby and locals to come and check out the completed works.
3) Please show up by 9-9:30am to check in and prepare for the competition. You will check-in at the “Registration” booth, which will be at the end of the “Boat Ramp” nearest to the water; we will have a space assigned for you. Plots will be 10 x 10 with room in-between yourself and other competitors.
4) The competition will begin at 10am sharp and continue until 2pm, for those teams that need the full time. Judging will take place from 2-3pm and the winners will be announced at 3pm.
5) Parking will be tight, so we recommend that you show up as soon as possible to secure a spot. Parking is free on the streets but is very hard to find. There are two paid public parking lots next to the competition charging $1 per hour (cash only).
5) RULES for the competition
– Molds or forms are NOT permitted for the competition
– Teams are maxed out at 10 members
– You can bring any tools you want to use
6) Judging criteria:
– Difficulty of Design
We will be awarding the following categories:
– Grand Prize Winner
– Difficulty of Design
– “Sculpt a Better Long Beach” Theme: Honorable Mention
– Family Build: Honorable Mention
We recommend that you bring:
- 1 bucket (10-Gallon / we will be providing teams with 1 additional bucket).
- 1 – 2 shovel(s)
- 1-2 tiling trowels for smoothing out the sculpture and giving specific shapes (can be found at Lowe’s or Home Depot)
- 1-2 plastic knives or other silverware for fine details
- 1-2 straws for clearing out sand from detailed work